Friday, June 5, 2009

Not stressing... much

Well I had my fluid checked again today, I went from a 10 to 10.2 so up a tad but not much. Still on the low end but fluid, the placenta and baby size will be checked next Wednesday so we will see. The NST (non-stress test) went fine, baby is looking good and not stressed. I'm not stressed the bed was super comfy and made me want to take a nap. Well maybe I'm a little stressed. Did you know how much it costs to have a baby??!! Crap, I guess I forgot that you actually have to pay for them, they are not just free. My doctor's office called and needed $1600 for her services and the same day the hospital called to let me know how much I paid last time around and what to expect this time. Did you know my hospital stay for 4 days was just over $17,000 last time?? Yeah, neither did I, thank god for insurance. For $17,000 you would think the bed would be more comfortable and I could get a message and facial. $17,000 just for the hospital stay nothing else. Then you add in the baby care, good drugs, my after care and all that. Well at least my doctor is paid for as long as it's a normal no surprises birth.

After getting over my shock and feeling like "okay I'll take a week off of work after the baby and not 10 weeks..." I called Joe who totally calmed me down and offered to pay for groceries last night. Thanks babe because I was breathing into a paper bag. And I kept thinking "dang c-section for keeping me in the hospital so long." I mean $4250/day? $177.08/hour? I need to stop...

We have Kelly, Jen and baby Carter coming to stay with us this weekend from Medford, OR. They have a wedding to go to on Sat and Selena has a b-day party to go to which means CAKE FOR ME!

$2.95/minuite... Okay now I'm done.

2 comments:

Erin said...

WOW! $17,000?!. Actually I am not the surprised, my cousin was billed 13k for a natural delivery. Lucky for me I was able to Cobra my AMAZING Kaiser insurance so I had no prenatal co pays and no hospital fees at all. For Oliver I had to pay $250 per admittance and I was admitted twice...

Glad to hear the baby is well. I've heard that lots of mamas DO take naps during the NST...

:)

Dave Alonzo said...

Healthcare ain't cheap. Just for my 2 hour stay in the hospital last year for my knee surgery was over $7,000. I guess those awesome gowns that they make you wear are hard to come by or something.