As you know I have talked about Jenessa "Boey" Byers before, the little girl who at six was diognosed with cancer. She beat cancer by eight but passed away last January. Because most of the people who read this blog are in OR I am asking for your help. Senator Gordon Smith has not signed on to the bill that could save our children’s lives with funding for research for a cure!!!
So, now there are 53 sponsors and need 7 more to negate the hold on the bill.
As a nation, we spend $14 BILLION per year on the space program, but only $35 MILLION on childhood cancer research per year.
From Jenessa's family blog:
WRITE HIM LETTERS AT Senator Gordon Smith, 121 SW Salmon St, Suite 1250, Portland, OR 97204) or emails (thru his website, gsmith.senate.gov/webform.htm):
SUGGESTED TEXT FOR A LETTER TO SEN SMITH:
I’m encouraging Sen. Smith to cosponsor S.911, Conquer Childhood Cancer Act. One of his own constituents, 8 year old Boey Byers of Corvallis, was, and continues to be through her memory and family and friends, an amazing advocate for the kids in this country suffering from cancer. She fought valiantly to bring to the attention of Congress and the country that there’s a pressing and immediate need for more pediatric cancer research. She did this even as she couragously fought for her own life for two years. Through two years of chemo and radiation treatments, brutal pain and sickness - she never gave up! I ask you to honor Boey’s memory and legacy by cosponsoring S.911 - no child (nor should their families) EVER have to suffer the horrors of cancer. I commend Sen. Wyden’s cosponsorship of the bill, and ask Sen. Smith to consider supporting this important legislation.
Respectfully, (your name)
Please if you have a second, lets try and get this passed. Just think if this was your child...
No comments:
Post a Comment