Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Trip to the derm

I have never been to a dermatologist but walking into the office I felt like they were going to be looking at more than just my rash. There were posters for Botox, for microderm something or other, for "special" make-up and for sun products. I started thinking about the whole weekend outside with 15 SPF and the light burn I have on my legs. Yikes, I have been caught! There was a fancy coffee machine and water dispenser in the corner. The women in the waiting room looked like they just came from the spa or a lunch hour botox session. The guy at the front counter, well he was gay and very chummy with the rich old ladies. He was even trying to sell one foundation and I heard him say "this product is so great and light I use it every morning." My eyebrow went up as I was filling out the paperwork and I may have smirked a bit.
I was not sure what to expect and then my name was called.
I was taken to the back where all the workers looked young and rested where I was interrogated about every product used on my body.
Yes I use laundry soap, yes I use fabric softener, yes I use deodorant, yes, yes, yes...
Well, the nurse said, looks like you need to stop using ALL of those things. Um, what? That is your diagnosis? All of a sudden at 21 weeks pregnant my body rejected my deodorant causing a breakout on my back. So I humored her thinking I just want to see the actual Dr. She asked me if I had been check for yeast and I said no. She looked shocked and asked me what kind of underwear I use. Old navy maternity I replied, "hummm" she said and made notes. "Okay, here is a sheet get undressed from the waist down and we will be right back." I clarified waist down saying most of the rash was on my mid section and not below the waist. "oh, you don't have a rash in the vaginal area?" No, if I did I think I would be at my OBGYN and not at a dermatologist. So I showed her the rash and she said, "wow, that is really bad, I'm sorry I was confused when I was told you had a rash I assumed it was in the vaginal area."
So the Dr came in and checked everything out asked me what I had tried and what had worked. I said lotions, gels, creams all made it worse the only thing that has worked is the Pine Tar soap and that is because it has dried it out. Anything that ads moisture makes it worse. Apparently she didn't hear me because she recommended I use Crisco to moisturise because it's not harsh like many body lotions. I should have asked about Pam cooking spray but I didn't want to be rude.
So she said she does not know what is is but it was most likely caused by something that come in contact with my skin and wanted to know if there was anything I could think of. Now I am such a creature of habit that I don't like to change ANYTHING. I have eaten the same breakfast M-F for the last 6 years and use the same shampoo and conditioner for over three. I don't just "change" something. Laundry soap about the same, bounce I love and would NEVER change. She told me to stop using scented laundry soap and bounce, shower with water, don't use deodorant for a week to see if the rash improves and use Crisco for lotion. Hmmmm, ya, that's just a load of crock! Seriously, I paid a $30 co-pay for this? I started having flashbacks for when I had Lyme's disease last summer and was told for months, "No you have asthma and depression." Until I finally choose to fire that Dr and get another opinion.
She gave me some prescription for a steroid cream that is a class c in pregnancy and again it's a cream that will moisturise. The soap has really helped a lot! It's has dried out all the big area's of the rash and working on the new ones. I have been using it for a week and there is a big difference so I'm not sure if I want to mess with what is working now or take a steroid which side effect can mean a smaller baby and I'm trying to make this baby bigger. So what did I learn, nothing.

1 comment:

Erin said...

argh!!
i bet you are just counting down teh days!!
can't wait to see you...i have one bag of the Aveda oatmeal bath you can have..don't know if it helps at all though!