Monday, August 4, 2008

When the parents act like children

Joe and I are really naive when it comes to some things. Selena is only two but sometimes we treat her like she is older then she is. When she is whining we ask her to use her words to explain what she wants. Sometimes it works, sometimes she tries and the words she is speaking just don't come out in the English language and she gets more frustrated. We do know that she whines more when I am around then when it is just Joe. Joe doesn't tolerate the whining and she knows it, with me I tend to give in to stop the whining because it is so annoying and this again creates a monster.
So back to being naive, Selena turned two so what do you think we got her for her birthday? Nothing, we took her to Toys R Us to pick out her own gift. Why did we do this? We never got around to getting her anything and I am like a little kid and love going to Toys R Us so the thought of Selena enjoying one was great except for the fact that this store is like a drug. As we walked in Selena grabbed a $1.25 ball, great, she has like 25 balls at home but she is being a bargain shopper and I like that. Next was the doll department, I had no idea there were so many dolls! She has four at home, all named and all very loved but if she wants one more fine. She was interested in the dolls for about 10 min and then picked up the ball again and just wanted to roll it down the isles. Next stop, the motorized vehicles. Now why would Joe and I take a two year old to the isle with the most expensive toys? That is where the naive part comes in. You see Joe and I both wanted one of these toys when we were little, in fact I asked for one each year for Christmas and never got one. I can understand why because with a starting price tag at $200-$600 that is a lot of dough! But again being naive or wanting to relive our childhoods, Joe and I took Selena form car, to jeep, to quad, to school bus and so on letting her try out each one. Well what do you think happened? That's right, meltdown when we went to leave. Well duhhh! Joe and I were so excited and we are old enough to understand that we were just looking, not looking to take home. Selena was looking to take ALL of them home. After a fit on the floor with tears Selena walked out with a story time bear and Dora learning globe that plugs into the TV like a video game. Lesson learned until net year...

No comments: