Monday, August 11, 2008

The fast track update...

So the latest and greatest is this:

The pacifier is no longer a part of bedtime. The night of her second birthday we just didn't give it to her and ever since she has been fine. I think she has maybe asked for it twice but I just say I don't know what you are talking about.

Potty training has been funny. I know not a usual word to describe it but the whole process is pretty entertaining. We have gotten Selena to use the potty by giving her money for her piggy bank and she will go three or four times a night just to get the money. This girl is going to be rich! Well because it's been nice and warm outside I have let Selena run around naked in the back yard. For one, she had a diaper rash so going diaper less to clear it up was a win-win for everyone. And two, she is very interested in her "junk" the word she picked up from Joe used to describe her, umm, parts. So last Wednesday while running around the backyard naked she said she had to go potty. I said "go in the grass." I think it was a shocker to Joe that I would be so casual like peeing in the grass happens all the time but this would give her a chance to really see how everything works. I would watch as two drips fell on the ground and she would jump, look surprised and laugh. This went on for about 10 min as she marked her territory. Heck, it was good practice.


Selena is all about her baby dolls. She has four that she named. Her favorite is Apple, second in line is Honey (no idea why food names) and #3 and #4 are both named Alonzo. Selena likes to take Apple everywhere with her we don't always let her get her way but most of the time we give in. Yesterday I went for a walk and on the way home we stopped at a park to play. Of course Selena had Apple with her and love taking her down the slide. Sometimes she would push her down and I would catch her and sometimes she would hold her and they would go down together. A few times Selena and I each held onto one of her hands and we would all three go down at the same time on the double slide. Well it was getting to be about dinner time and when I tried to get Selena to go she didn't want to of course. I could have just grabbed her kicking and screaming and strapped be into the jogging stroller but I tried something different. I smelled Apple's bottom and said "Apple needs a diaper change we should go home so you can change her." Selena came down the slide grabbed Apple and smelled her bottom and said "yes, Apple is stinky." That was it, she climbed into the stroller and we went home. Of course for the 1/2 mile back to the house I kept hearing "Apple stinky, Apple went potty, Apple stinky, Apple went potty..." She was like a broken record.

Selena also got a baby doll doctor station for her birthday from Auntie Ariel and that kept her busy for hours yesterday. If I came into her room to put clothes away she would say, "no mom! go away!" Okay, okay, I get it.

No comments: