Thursday, October 29, 2009

So unlike me

I was commenting to Joe last night that I met a friend in my workout class. His mouth about hit the floor. You see I'm a very stay-to-myself type person. I'm the one that goes to the gym with headphones on that are connected to nothing so I don't have to talk to anyone. I was incredibly shy when I was little and would skip class if I had to get in front of the class. Somehow I always managed to have friends but looking back I'm not sure how I got them. Now at work I'm always giving presentations or doing training classes so no one thinks I'm shy which is totally silly to me. People actually think I'm outgoing, boy they don't know me at all.
Joe and I balance each other out, he is INCREDIBLY outgoing, talkative, friendly with everyone and still keeps in touch with kids he knew in grade school. I like being places with Joe because he wants to be the center of attention and I like to blend in like a fly on the wall and watch.
If I'm by myself I typically don't talk to anyone and people don't talk to me, but as soon as I had Selena and would take her places it was an open invitation for people to talk to me. In stores, on the street at the park... you name it. I was forced to interact with people because they would say "and what is your name?" to Selena. Well Selena was like 4 months so of course she couldn't talk back and to be polite I would answer. Then they would say "how old are you?" Again, she can't talk, but they would never make actual eye contact with me so it was awkward.
So back to my gym story. I have seen this girl before at the gym and when I was pregnant she asked me a few questions. Again the belly was an open invite to talk. Well I saw her in the noon cardio lifting class, she was setting up her stuff in front of the fan where I like to be so I don't get to sweaty. She was wearing a suit. Interesting I thought, I'm here on my lunch break also and just changed out of my suit, plus she got my fan spot. She comes back in dressed down in a tank and shorts and New Balance shoes. Exactly what I'm wearing. So the class gets underway and in 10 min I'm dying, it's hot, I'm sweating and I have to go back to work after this. She is in front of me and I see her tone down some of the moves which is what I did to be less sweaty. So I'm thinking, this gal is like me. On her lunch break, trying to get a workout but has to go back and not look like a total mess. How fascinating, I must meet her. So there was an opportunity where we were next to each other so I say, "on your lunch break also?" She says, "yes, I hate going back after class all sweaty but don't have time to work out after work." Well we totally hit it off, I even asked her name and what she does. She works at Microsoft in marketing. So I felt pretty proud of myself as I left the gym with my eyes down so the happy front desk people wouldn't try and talk to me. That was enough interaction for one day.

1 comment:

Erin said...

its scary how similar our lives and personalities are! Though I NEVER thought you were shy growing up! Ha Ha you hid it so well...
:)