Monday, February 18, 2008

Just 5 more min

It's back to the grind; well I'm back at it. Joe and Selena have the day off for the holiday.
Lately it's been harder to get up; I do pretty good on most Mondays. I have this sleeping problem on Sunday nights not sure what it is or what causes it but I stay up thinking about the week ahead and before I know it it's 1am. You see I get up at 4:30 each morning and usually go to bed about 10pm. Now I recently heard on the news that sleep depravation is the cause of more accidents than distractions such as cell phones. In fact if you receive 5 hours of sleep or less at night then it's pretty much like driving while intoxicated.
Monday the alarm goes off and I jump out of bed, feeling pretty good unless I forget to take my Unisom, which I HAVE to on Sunday by 8pm or I'd be up all night. Tuesday I'm a little less enthusiastic but still am living off my 10 hours of sleep from Friday and Saturday nights. Wednesday I hit snooze and pass out for the best 8 min of the whole night. Driving to work my eyes are like slits and this is after 4 cups of coffee. By Thursday, forget about it, take they keys away because I know I'm driving under the influence of no sleep after hitting the snooze button twice. Friday I actually do okay, hit the snooze button twice but am motivated to get out of bed because the prospect of the weekend and I get to dress down for work and I just feel better being comfortable.
Now each morning when I get to work I'm usually there 1/2 hour early. So why don't I sleep in longer and leave later? Becasue it's the difference of a 40 min drive to work in traffic or an hour and a half drive. If I were to leave 30 min later I would be in the car stuck in traffic twice as long. So after pulling into the parking garage half asleep, I put my seat back and pass out so hard until my alarm on the good old crackberry jolts me upright. It's funny but I look forward to this little snooze in the car each morning.
I think the thing I hate the most is having to dress up at work which means prep in the evenings or mornings. Making sure my suites are not wrinkled and legs have been shaved if I'm wearing a skirt. I try and wear the most comfortable-uncomfortable work clothes I can. I hate getting to work and sitting and my desk feeling stiff because my shirt is tucked in just right and belt is cutting off my circulation because I'm trying to look thinner. If I didn’t have to worry about nice clothes in the morning I could cut off like 20 min of my routine and that's 20 min of more sleep I could get and Joe could get since I stand on our walk-in closet trying on clothes each morning. I used to try and plan ahead my outfits for the whole week but I seriously have better things to do.
I just keep telling myself I won't have to get up at 4:30AM for the rest of my life. Some day I'll live in a small town, work will be 5 min away and traffic will be more that four cars at a stop light. I just keep telling myself that...

No comments: