Thursday, February 7, 2008

Gag Reflex


I always thought that when I became a mother things that used to make me gag wouldn't. That being a mother would magically make gross things less gross. I know my mom never gagged when I threw up; instead she would clean it up while smiling then get me some 7-up. So naturally I figured I would be immune to my own Childs dirty diapers and puke. Well I did great the first three months while Selena was on breast milk but as soon as she started eating solids I would play rock, paper, scissors with Joe as soon as I smelled poo. Believe me, I got pretty good. Sometimes Joe would just do it because I would need to hold a powder fresh baby wipe to my nose while changing poo. And forget about looking at the poo itself! I would rather not! Joe would come over and inspect, "looks like she had beans and carrots for lunch" he would proclaim. GROSS BABE! Even at Costco when the unscented wipes were on sale I would still spend the extra money on the scented ones because they would mask the stench. So he can stand the dirty diaper thing without gagging so my thing must be puke right?
I was used to smelling like sour milk when Selena was little and it really didn't bother me since I was getting about 4 hours of sleep a night I think my personal hygiene went out the window. As Selena started eating solids like baby foods I still didn't mind the every once in a while burp up. So great, Joe gets poo duty and I get throw up, what a great team! Well last night I let me team mate down. After force feeding Selena veggies she had had it and threw up everything all over her plate, clothes and highchair. Joe stripped her down and took her to the shower which left me with clean up duty. I grabbed the highchair tray and took it to the sink, I glanced down only for a moment and that dang gab reflex kicked in. So I cleaned up the rest of the highchair and floor without looking and that is a very hard thing to do but each time that highchair tray image popped back into my head I would gag again. Sheesh, I guess I'm just not cut out for the gross stuff.

No comments: