Tuesday, January 22, 2008

What's in a name?


The craziest thing besides actually having a baby pulled out of you is the fact that you have to choose this little persons name. There are so many factors to choosing this name because no matter what there is going to be some genius six year old that will come up with a way to make fun of this name by rhyming. In any baby name book you will find numerous naming ideas and spelling options so that each little person will have their own piece of name identity.
As soon as you find out your pregnant you start thinking of names for each gender and scrutinizing other people's naming choices which is not that hard if you look to celebrities. I mean come on, "Pilot Inspector" as a name?! (Actual celebrity baby name) There is no way Joe and I could get away with "Rocket Ship Alonzo." As soon as you find out the gender the fun really begins because you can knock off like 1/2 your list, maybe. Though I tend to like girls with "boy" names. Not like Bill or Jon, but Derick or Sam could be cute. Which brings me to how we got to the name Selena.
After months of Joe vetoing my name choices and me vetoing his "safe way to boring" names, we came up with about five we actually liked. There was Samantha, Sam for short. Isabella, McKenna, Grace and Selena. Now we put these names aside because we wanted to wait to meet our little girl before deciding on a name that would fit. How does someone know if a name will fit after meeting them for less that a day? Well Joe knows me and figured if we picked a name I would tell everyone so we didn't talk names until I was about to burst. At 40 weeks we shortened the list. McKenna was a little to popular and Matt Damon named his new baby girl Isabella so down to three. Grace we decided would be a better middle name until Joe randomly came up with the name Elise as a middle name also. So it was Samantha Grace or Selena Elise. I totally didn't care what name we choose when I was 41 weeks, I just wanted the baby out! But I think Joe and I were both leaning towards Selena Elise and neither of us wanted to make the final name decision. Then came the 26 hours of labor and a c-section. I was drugged up and Joe was running on 10 min of sleep in three days and here it was time to make the very important decision and finally tell the family who we had kept in the dark about all names we had considered. We looked at each other and said... "you pick," "no you pick." "I don't want to pick, I gave birth." "No you didn't they had to pull her out, you had it easy." "EASY! You think that was easy..." Anyway, after I beat up Joe, I scribbled out the name on the birth certificate and it turned out as Selena Elise Alonzo, totally surprised that they could read my writing. So that is the story on the name. We are thinking Diego for a boy and Rosa for a girl if we have another one, just to continue the ironic Spanish name for a blond hair blue eyed kid. (totally kidding, Joe hates both)

2 comments:

Kati said...

Picking out names was definitely nerve racking!!! Selena Elise is a beautiful name by the way!

Cute new page!

Erin said...

well...i personally think Elise is a Wonderful name!!

love the new page!!

you know we tried to find a good name that was pretty unique...i can't tell you how many people have either named their baby oliver or know a little boy with the same name. and i just found out that it is the #100 most popular name out of 100 names!

you just can't win

:p