Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Traveling for fun

Last week was my quarterly meeting for work. What does this mean? It means three lovely days in a warm climate, two sleepless nights at a very fancy resort and a few fun activities. Seriously, we sleep like 5 hours a night if that becasue we pack in so many meetings and late dinners and fun. Now don't get me wrong, I would much rather be at home with Joe and Selena but if I have to work this is the way to do it.
After taking a 6:10am flight to AZ Wednesday morning, we arrived at the Arizona Grand Resort at 10:30. Since we didn't meet until 5pm I had the whole day to relax. Because it was raining (in AZ!) I went to the resort gym where there were mostly snow birds and the occasional yuppie looking like he/she just stepped out of a Polo ad. There I am in my best gym clothes, an over sized Ferrari t-shirt Joe bought for 10 cents at a garage sale. This shirt is quite a conversation starter. I had one older gentlemen say "I was wondering whose car that was in the parking lot." Gesturing towards my shirt. "Yep, totally mine." I thought to myself as I laughed. You actually think if I had a Ferrari I would advertise? Heck no! I think those things are so ugly, give me a '67 Camero and then were talking.
For our first activity we went race car driving. We had an hour lesson on how to cut corners and cut people off and not crash. All 12 of us stood there in our full body race coveralls that were straight out of NASCAR, with leather jackets (think Top Gun) flame retardant hoodie masks like robbers wear and full face helmets. To make a long story short my team won!
The next day after meetings we went horseback riding through a golf course where seriously the balls were flying. It was like playing dodge ball. I was pretending that we were in the wild west and there were very big white bullets, it made it more interesting. Then there was the rediulously expensive dinner at Tommy Bahama. I mean $20 for an appitizer and $45 for an entree? I'd hate to see the tab since these dinners give everyone an excuse to splurge. "Bring me the most expensing drink on the menu!" Most people say. I say bring me beer. But I do say "I want one of each dessert!"
The next day there were more meetings and a race for time to get to the airport so we wouldn't miss the flight.
Now I used to travel every other week for work, lately it's been less but one thing I will never grow tired of is the way my hotel room magically gets cleaned everyday. I totally need to get myself a magic elf for at home.

No comments: