Some of the girls at work and I were talking about annoying things that women do last week. We talked about annoying things men do also but that would take a much longer post :)
There are some things that a vast majority of women do that really give us all a bad name. I’m gonna call us out on it right now. And, by the way, I am guilty of a few of these to some extent or another…
- Women who compulsively apologize. “I’m sorry to bother you but…” or “This is probably a stupid question but…” If you tell them you’re stupid every time you speak, they will believe you. Stop it!
- Choosing clothes based upon what’s in style and not what looks good on your body type. Case in point: skinny jeans. Whoever brought the skinny jean back should be removed from society, but until that arrest takes place women need to know that this style is not for everyone. Just because it’s the “in” thing does not mean you look good in it. Skinny jeans only look good on people who are underweight, so unless you’re a size zero, you should really stick to another style of jean. Same goes for other fashions. Clothes that fit right and flatter never go out of style…almost.
- Similar to the point above, wearing age-inappropriate clothing. When trying something on ask yourself the following two questions: Would a 12-year-old wear this? Would my grandma? If the answer to either question is “yes”, place the item back on the rack and move along. I am very guilty of this, I sometimes feel like I dress like a 12 year old on the weekend but after dressing like a 40 year old during the work week I like to rebel.
- Living a fake life. "Everything is wonderful, perfect, amazing. My life is great, fabulous, kids are angels.." Blahh, blahh, blahh. your not fooling anyone. If your life is so freaking prefect it must be freaking boring. Life's little quarks are what make it fun, kid issues and all. Problems with family, husband, mother-in-law(not you Debbie), that is what makes life interesting and makes for great stories. Lay it out there, don't hide it, you know who you are.
- Putting a little bowl of candy at your desk at the office. Ever see a guy do this? No. Why not? Because it’s stupid. You’re not there to feed your co-worker’s or give them a sugar buzz; you’re there to work.
- Taking forever to pull out of a parking space. If I’m at the store searching for a parking and space and a man and a woman are getting into separate cars at the same time I will 100% of the time wait to pull into the guy’s space. Women fumble for their keys, sometimes even putting their handbag onto the hood of the car to conduct a thorough search; they take forever to put things into their car (usually in the trunk or backseat); they check themselves out in the mirror. Guys have their keys in their pockets, toss their bag on the passenger seat and are outta there. (Same goes for checkout lines at stores. Guys move faster.)
- Talking incessantly about your children or saying "I feel like a bad mom." A few antidotes about the kids here and there is great, but constant droning about your kids is annoying. And when you’re around people who don’t have kids, unless they ask you specifically about your children, don’t bring ‘em up because people without kids could give a rip about yours. Harsh, but true. I am guilty of telling stories about my kids or showing pictures when no story was called for…and I always feel like a freak after I do it. We all feel like a bad mom at times, the only reason some people say it is they are looking for validation that they are a good mom and have poor self esteem. Pull your self esteem up on your own don't rely on others, it's annoying and pathetic.
- Saying ‘yes’ all of the time. We hate letting people down. I get it. It’s part of our genetic make-up, but I’ve seen many a woman go batty because they over-commit, over-subscribe and then resent it. Being helpful is great but we need to learn to say ‘no’ sometimes (although not all of the time). People will keep asking you for things and soon you’ll feel like they’re taking advantage of you, which leads to resentment, which leads to bitterness, which can be construed as bitchiness. Say ‘no’ occasionally. It’s empowering, it’s your right, and you will be better at what you’ve already said ‘yes’ to. Say it with me, “NO!” I can’t hear you, “NO!!!” Good job.
- Bad driving skills. You can’t have a list like this without mentioning driving. Stop putting your make-up on while driving. By all means do not text while driving. Use your earpiece if you need to talk on the phone. Do not keep turning around and looking at your kids while driving. Nose picking is fine (oh, come on, don’t pretend like you don’t do it) as long as you keep your eyes on the road.
- Writing checks. Do you ever get behind that annoying woman who still writes a check when paying at a retail or grocery store?? After 40 years of check writing, she still hasn’t learned to start writing it out before she actually knows the total. SERIOUSLY, get a DEBIT CARD!
I know I’m missing a bunch. Feel free to add your observations :)
And what is up with Vienna on the Bachelor, that girl is the epitome of giving us girls a bad name.
No comments:
Post a Comment