Thursday, October 16, 2008

Round one for the season




We had the first illness of the fall season hit Selena on Tuesday night. Her head was very hot and the whining and wanting constant attention told us she was just not herself. The fact that she wanted to skip dinner to lay on the couch and watch news was also a big indicator that something was up. After her shower she was shaking, now it's not that cold in the house and even though her body was hot she had the chills. So we bundled her up and put her in our bed while we put away a little laundry. She wanted to be cuddled and held all night, waited on and catered to, which of course Joe and I did. It gave us a break from house/car projects for one evening. She also fell asleep early while we were watching Indiana Jones and that is a high action movie!

Joe and I talked about who would stay home with her and both of us couldn't miss work so we were hoping after a long sleep she would be feeling better. About midnight she woke up crying so Joe yelled at me and pushed me out of bed. It was my night to deal with the munchkin. I got her some Pedialite which she drank a lot of and by feeling her head I could tell that she was way to hot. Of course after sleeping about two hours and being pushed out of bed I was a little disoriented and could not find a thermometer. Not that one would actually help because we have about four of them and none of them are accurate. I did the under arm thing and it came out 97.4, I didn't believe that. I did the ear one, right ear was 105.7 and left ear was 103. I did my ear just to check and it said 98.2, tried hers again and is read 102.4. I gave up and yelled for Joe to feel her head, the only thing I could think to do. And you would think we would have some Motrin or Tylenol in the house right. We went through every possible place it could be and found a half dose in a bottle under my car seat. Fabulous, we are so prepared. We gave her the meds, gave her some more to drink and went back to bed. Part of me wanted to sleep in her room to take care of her and the other part said she is fine go back to bed. Well I went back to bed waking up every two hours telling myself to go check on her but not being able to make my body move. Joe was the same way, just shows how selfish we are about sleep. Anyway, long story short, she woke up with a smile on her face saying "I hungy mom, I hungy dad!" She is back to normal and acting like her normal silly self.

1 comment:

Libby said...

glad to hear the little munchkin is feeling better...being sick is never fun!