Tuesday, July 8, 2008

No more binky baby, maybe?



Joe and I decided long ago that when Selena was old enough to start talking and beginning to form sentences that all binkies had to go. Well, nice plan but we never got around to going through with it. We started the binky weaning four months ago but then she came down with the flu and we gave it back to her because she was comforted by it.

Now, at 23 months old that time has come. The past few days Selena has been really into potty training and all about wiping herself, she will say I "poot" "I get wipes" so with that going on it's been hard wanting to make a drastic change to her routine. But I always said by age one the bottle would be gone and by age two no more binky's. With her birthday less than a month from now I guess the time has come.

At first Selena never wanted a binkie, I don't think she actually took one until she was 6 months and still wasn't very into it until she was one. So I had a few thoughts about how to go about this. With potty training we started giving coins to put in her piggy bank if she sat on the potty or tried to go, she loves putting money into the piggy bank. For giving up the binkies I thought about cutting off the tip so it's no fun to suck on. That would also require finding all the binkies that Selena has hidden, you see we take away the binkies and only give them to her during nap and night time but somehow she always ends up with one no matter what. See I could put her in her car seat without a binkie and within 5 min she will have one in her mouth, I'm not sure how she produces them but she is tricky.

I hate to do the binkie thing and potty training at the same time but eventually I would like to stop buying diapers and finding binkies all over the house.



But what if she actually likes the binkie with the tip off?? Well then back to the drawing board and I may have to get a little more creative than I have time for like the "binkie fairy" leaving Selena with a toy. Or better yet taking a binkie down to the Build-a-bear shop and letting Selena put the binkie in the bears tummy so she still feels like the binkie is with her. But my worry is her remembering this and finding a demolished bear in her bed one morning and fuzz everywhere. So for now I'll go the easier route and hope for the best.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Good Luck!! Oliver seems to be weening himself off binkies (knock on wood!) he pretty much only likes them to chew on or bang on things!