Thursday, April 17, 2008

Power struggle


So I read Kati's blog on Tuesday about the struggles to get her son to just take a bit of food. So Tuesday evening Joe and I were sitting down to dinner and I told him about Kati's story because I thought it was very cute even though I knew having to deal with it was not cute, sorry Kati but the way you told it was funny. Selena has always been a good eater and not very picky but some nights when she doesn't eat much we get her to take just one more bite. Most times she will say "NO!" for a couple seconds or minutes and then take the bite with a disgusted look on her face. Well Tuesday she was in fighting form. She ate all her fruit but did not touch her pot pie. Joe and I were done; I cleared her plate all but a bite. One itty bitty bite of crust and a carrot. I left it on her fork and said "One bite then all done." She said "Dal done!" No just one bite. Then tears started and she kept crying no. Usually this is a quick fit, so I cleaned the kitchen, moved on to the laundry and made the guest bed. Thirty min had passed and she was still sitting at the table not eating the bite. So I gently reminded her about the bite and she could play once she ate. The tears started again and the moaning of "no" continued. Joe and I sat on the couch for a good 15 min while Selena played with the bite on the fork and looked out the window. By this time she had been at the table an hour. I again went over to her and reminded her about the bite and she started crying again. So I said "Use your words, what's wrong?" In the cutest voice while choking back tears she said "Dooggie bye-bye?" (There are a few dogs in yards we can see from the dining room window) So I said "Yes, the doggie went night-night." Selena said "ni-ni?" I said "yes." And that's all it took, the bite was in her mouth and the power struggle was over. Guess she was just concerned that she could not see the doggie or she was just too tired of fighting us.

1 comment:

Kati said...

Ah yes...the wonderful power struggle! We've had a couple since the whole 3 hour thing...but they've only lasted 20 minutes or so! He's figuring it out!!!

She was worried about the doggies next door...that's so cute!