Jess and I have seen Selena go through some difficult experiences in her 14 months, Multiple ear infections, Random Viruses, Dislocated baby elbows, etc, but I don't think I was prepared for what I saw her endure this morning.
A bit of history first.One of our family trends lately is to go to Cody, Valerie, and Dash's house to let dads watch hours of UFC/MMA fights while Mom's talk work, and while Dash and Selena can be observed practicing take downs and developing their striking skills while playing together. Totally normal development, right? Often times though, I am watching a fight on TV and wondering if Selena (and Dash) ought to be in a different room so they don't pick up on violence on TV.
Well, maybe her learning the arm bar or guillotine isn't so bad. This morning was typical, breakfast, smiles, and off to "school". When I drop Selena off, she always walks into the room full of little kids. She is the smallest one walking. Today as I am letting Sarah, the daycare lady know what Selena had for breakfast, I see her out of the corner of my eye, grab another little girl. Sarah, the Daycare lady goes on to tell me that they are having trouble with this girl picking on Selena. I was thinking the girl is about 2yrs, but really she is only 5 months older than Selena. She is quite tall and gets around the room very well. Sarah goes on to tell me that she thinks that this girl is jelous of Selena because Selena is so smiley and gets everyones attention. She tells me about all the work they are doing with the two of them so this girl will stop going after Selena because it's really bad. I'm thinking, No biggie, Dash takes her out all the time, and I reassure Sarah that Selena can take it...I thought.
Moments later as poor Sarah is juggling kids, Selena is standing there quietly smiling at another little girl eating her breakfast in the High Chair. I curiously and then horrifically watch as the angry girl gets a full on, accross the room running start toward my little girl. Angry girl caulks back in full stride and drops the most premeditated running, open hand stiff arm, right into Selena's face. We're talking Heisman! This kid is obviously a master of her craft. Selena goes to her butt and begins crying as if to say "what the heck did I do?!" Immediately, Sarah grabs Selena to comfort her, while angry girl goes into a kicking and screaming tantrum on the floor, because once again she is watching Selena get the attention......Selena's not hurt, and shortly forgets about it. I go through an interesting series of emotions after watching that attack, and realize that this is just something that Selena will have to get herself through as there is really little that Jess and I can do for her. It's all a part of growing up. I watch little angry girl calm down, carefully planning her next attack, and I pray that Selena will continue to be unharmed. Jess and I will try to meet the parents and see about getting the kids together outside a daycare setting to hopefully develop a toddler friendship, but I think we will continue to let Selena attend fight night at Dash's house so she can master her defensive tactics.....Just in case.
2 comments:
Nice writing skills Joe, it's about time you wrote something. Sounds like Selena had a rough morning, good thing her and Dash are getting together tonight!
wow! that is awful and scary! i hope that things work out between then before someone gets really hurt.
i though you only had to worry about that with boys!
good luck.
Post a Comment