Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Something you don't see everyday


I work in Bellevue and Bellevue is known as kind of a, well, snooty rich community to put it nicely. This town is all about appearances, you will not find a piece of trash anywhere, everything is well manicured and so are the people. It's like Stepford, a bunch of robots. Home to high end stores like Louie Vuitton, Hermes and Bottega Veneta all of which I had to look up so I knew how to spell them. Home to Bill and Melinda Gates.
Anyway what I saw today was kind of refreshing, four teen were walking down main street. And I'm not talking the "Bellevue" teens wearing designer outfits that they charge to daddy's credit card or driving their BMW or Lexis. Four obviously outcast teenagers. And I say outcast because they do not fit the mold here. The three boys were all dressed in black, one was wearing black lipstick and had a mohawk. One had chains coming from every visible piercing and one was wearing a black cape and shorts, no shirt. The girl was in all black, baggie jeans and blue hair. In a town where everyone is wearing a suite this stands out.
I automatically liked these kids, they were being themselves creatively and looked like they were having fun.
Two things went thought my mind, either the Bellevue police were going to take them away for disorderly conduct or disturbing the peace or this was a set up for a hidden camera show. And by the looks of peoples faces I wish I had a camera to capture this moment. There was a lady with two small kids who took one look at these teens and hurried in to the closed Starbucks. There was the couple in the Land Rover next to me who's mouths dropped and you could tell were making disgusted comments and there was the biker in spandex who crossed the road when he saw them. The last one might have been a coincidence but you never know.
I think it's good for the Bellevue residents to get a dose of reality and I got a good chuckle on my lunch hour. At least these teens are bucking the trend, being themselves, figuring out who they are. They have the rest of their lives to fit the mold like I have to each day at work. I dare not be myself, you do not go against the grain here. I wonder what would happen if I didn't wear heels tomorrow, ohhh, I would be such a rebel.

No comments: