Thursday, November 20, 2008

I've been bitten


I love reading books but I mostly like biographies. I prefer the true real life stories to the made up love stories of romance novels. I was on quite a roll reading biographies of 70's classic rock bands. Listening to Howard Stern each morning helps to let me know the books coming out. I know funny way to learn about books but he has a lot of old classic rock band members on his show. He had Don Felder on of the Eagles so of course then I had to read every book about the Eagles. I moved on to Led Zepplin and then Lynyrd Skynyrd. He had Tito Ortiz on so then I wanted to read his new book opting out for the Chuck Liddel. So from classic rock to UFC.
Anyway, a few months back my sister talked about a vampire book series that was very popular with her Starbucks co-workers. Of course I humored her had listened to her talk about how great these books were but all I could think was "vampires? Really?" My sister gave me all four books in the series, they are each over 500 pages so I put them in the closet for when I would actually have time or was board enough to read them.
About that same time I heard that a movie was going to come out based on the books that were set in Forks, WA. Living in WA and not to far from Forks, this was a big deal and on all the news stations. But I still didn't fall for the whole vampire story line.
Last week I traveled for work and needed a book for the flight. As I was walking out the door I threw the first book "Twilight" into my laptop bag and thought if I really got board I would start the book. Well within three day's I had read all 532 pages of book one and just a week later I'm almost done with book two "New Moon."
I was at one of the properties yesterday and one of my employees said that his 13 year old daughter was really looking forward to going the the Twilight movie. He also informed me that these books were really popular with the 10-16 year old girls. Nice, way to make me feel good since I'm, you know, just a little older than 16.

No comments: