Monday, December 10, 2007

Parties, Santa and Tree Killing



You know it's getting to be Christmas when the mall parking lots are packed, people are complaining about Santa saying Ho Ho Ho and your pants fit snug. We started off the weekend at my work Christmas Party, sorry "Holiday" party, screw it! CHRISTMAS, if you are offended I don't care, it's CHRISTMAS!!! Anyway, this year it was family friendly not all uppity snooty and people playing dress up as it has been in the past. Selena was able to come and she ran wild, sure people thought Joe and I couldn't control out daughter but at least she had fun. She did not like Santa, she wanted nothing to do with him or the huge gift he gave her until it was far away from the man in the suite. She did like the very large canycane she received from him and it ended up all over when she landed face first on it. When she sat up there was a big red and sticky line from her chin to her hairline but again, she was having fun. After the candy cane incident she decided to get the party started and danced in front of everyone soaking up the attention she was getting because at that point all eyes were on her and a few raised eyebrows were looking at me.
Sunday we went tree killing with the Smith's. Their little girl Avery is 6 weeks older than Selena and they love playing. We packed up our truck and they brought the Jeep for some good old snow fun. We had spiked cocoa, chili, cornbread and treats over a campfire before heading up the higher into the snow to find the perfect tree and getting in a little sledding. After Joe searched forever he found one and cut it down carried it pack to the camp and we all drank more spiked cocoa to celebrate the sacrifice that tree had made for our house to look and smell festive.
In years past I have wanted the tree to look like something out of a magazine, perfectly placed lights, all matching color coordinated ornaments with bows placed to fill bare spots. This year, I just don't care, the more tacky the better. Joe and I pulled out all the ornaments we made growing up in school or that were given to us. With the unbreakables on the bottom and the more delicate above Selena's reach our tree is perfectly tacky and everything I thought I would hate. But it has meaning, this is the first year that Joe and I have put ornaments from our childhood on a tree together. And Selena received a few ornaments last year and made some at daycare, so it is truly a family tree. Joe also put up lights in the front and back of the house so we don't look like the Kranks of the neighborhood. We also finished up the Christmas cards and gifts.
I have another Christmas dinner for work tonight (uppity, snooty and dress up) and then Joe has his Christmas party on Friday. Gotta love good food! Hope everyone is doing well and we will see most of you in a few weeks!

No comments: