Monday, July 23, 2012

Seizures

I mentioned in my last post that Natalia had another seizure.  This has been her 5th and each one is equally scary.  Not one has been the same, each one has been a little different and under different circumstances.  The first one I literally thought she was dying.  She was shaking so bad and throwing up, her eyes rolling in the back of her head.  Never seeing this before or knowing anyone who had seizures this really scared Joe and I.  Even when he realized what it was, you feel so helpless looking down at your 18 month old knowing that you can't do anything.
Like I said each one started differently.  Two of them started with fevers and the other three did not start with fevers but ended with her spiking temps.  During two of them she was totally out, eyes focused on the ceiling and shaking.  In a kid this small it's like a vibrating sensation.
One of them she was walking into the house and started a seizure so as she is walking she starts to loose it and runs into the wall.  She started going into what I can only describe as a 1/2 seizure with no temperature.  She is unaware of her surroundings or us.  Joe carried her up the stairs and then she went into a full seizure.  The 4th one started with a fever.  I am constantly checking her head, sometimes 4 times a day, just to make sure.  I noticed her getting hot at dinner but it was hot in the restaurant anyway.  I just knew she felt hotter and made a comment about her not having a seizure for a few months and that we had been lucky.  10 min later we were in the Fred Meyer parking lot, I was in getting formula and she started to become unresponsive and stair at the ceiling.  Joe pulled her out of the car and took off her shirt trying to cool her down.  She was trying to sing but nothing was making sense.  There were no words just sounds and she kept pounding one of her fists on the palm of her other hand.  She started to vomit and we knew we just needed to get her home so we buckled her back in and it was the longest 5 min drive ever.  By this time she was about 15 min into the seizure and not coming out.  By 30 min we called 911.  When they arrived she was very disoriented and still pretty out of it but she did not want anyone touching her and was very scared of them so she hung into me.  That was our third ER trip with her for seizures. 
The last one is still pretty fresh in my mind and was probably the hardest one for me to watch.  I was sick with the stomach flu and laying on the couch.  Selena and Tally were in their room playing when Selena came out very calmly and said "there is something wrong with Tally."  Joe and I jumped up and went in to see her on her bed having a seizure.  She was looking straight a head, eyes focused, pupils so dilated that I could not even see her steel blue/green eyes.  She was not shaking but felt hot so we stripped her down and Joe got wet towels.  I just held her and talked to her.  You know in the movies when someone is dying and they are struggling to breath and turning blue?  Well that was her.  Her lips turned a dark blue and her face turned a pale blue.  I could feel her heart pounding but she was struggling to breath, little bubbles were coming out from between her teeth.  My Kindle Fire was right by me and I turned on Tangled, her favorite movie, and held it to her face so she could hear and see it.  Slowly she realised the air form her lungs and took a breath and came to.  She focused on the movie for a bit and then passed out for about an hour.  Of course Joe and I kept going in to check on her but it is normal after a seizure for her to sleep. 
Each one has been very scary in it's own way.  I would like to say she will never have another one but I'm sure that is not true.  I have decided depending on circumstances and comfort level of Joe and I that I will video record the next one.  I want to document her fight with Lyme because someday she is going to have questions.  I have kept the blog, Joe has kept a journal and we have taken many pictures of her health issues.  Video is going to be the next step in documenting our fight with Lyme and co-infections.  

No comments: