Wade Simmons (born 30 September 1974) is a mountain biker from Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada. Simmons is affectionately known as one of the Godfathers of Freeride mountain biking and was one of the first freeriders to become sponsored. Wade was inducted into the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame in September 2010.

Wade Simmons
You know that we spend weekends in Whistler in the summer and got engaged in Whistler in 2002 so it all kind of fits. Okay so now you know where we got the name Wade from.
How did we come up with Fisher? Joe actually threw it out there one night when we were coming home from seeing a movie with the kids. We were having a hard time coming up with middle names since Joe didn't like any of the ones I liked. My top ones were Garrett, Garrison or Gareth. Joe knew some kid names Garrett growing up and didn't like him, I guess Mr. Garrison is some South Park character but I have never seen the show and Gareth Dyer is another mountain biker and we didn't totally want to name him after all bikers.
Gareth Dyer
So we have a first name for boy of Wade, girl name was Gabriana and no middle names for either. Driving home after the movie Joe said "how about Fisher for a boy and Finn for a girl." By that time I was due in less than a month so I was happy to be done with the baby name book so it was set. Since we didn't know boy or girl we had to have one of each.
Day 1 in the hospital after Wade was born Joe calls his brother Dave to let him know it was a boy and tell him the name is Wade Fisher. There is a moment of silence and Dave says "you mean like the kid the lived down the road from us?" I guess growing up their was a kid named Wade and his last name was Fisher. Joe never put it together why is sounded so good until Dave brought that up.
Of course my mom, dad and sister asked if we named him Fisher after Gary Fisher who is is considered one of the inventors of the modern mountain bike and owns Fisher Bikes.

Gary Fisher
Well we never thought of that until then! So all in all this kid is destined to ride bikes I guess or be a good fisherman.
No comments:
Post a Comment