Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Vacation Part II

Continued...
The next day we figured we would leave the Scout and take the two good wheelers and make the trip to Buck Island Lake where we had hopped to camp but were happy to at least play there for the afternoon.






We met up with another group heading to Buck Island...






We arrived at Buck Island for lunch and a break just in time for some thunder showers.



We slipped and slided our way back to camp.
Somehow I came down with a headache that evening that I just could not get rid of it with meds. I went to bed early but could not sleep. Some time in the night I got up to go to the bathroom and came back to bed. About 30 min later Joe woke me up because a bear was in our site rummaging through the food. I was just feeling like crap by this time and sat there listening to the bear. An hour or so later my head was pounding so bad that it made my dizzy and I sat up, grabbed a plastic bag and threw up. This meant that Joe had to get up and get out of the tent hopping the bear was gone. The bear got away with bagels and marshmallows.


By morning I was feeling better buy my hear was still pounding and nothing was working. Somehow I managed to pack up camp and we got on the tril heading home but there was one problem. The Scout now only had rear wheel drive which meant the four hour slow moving trip back to the trail head could take all day. We had to head up Catillac Hill with out 4 wheel drive.



We were all excited to be heading out but unsure of how the day would go.



Bottom of Catillac Hill.





It was a struggle and for a time we were in the same spot for two-three hours just winching up the steep rocky terrain.






And more winching...






We finally made it to the top!




But the adventure was not over as we still had many hours to go before we were free and clear.





When we made it to the trail head it had been about 8 hours since we began. We were hot, dusty, tired and hungry. After showeres and dinner we all passed out early knowing that tomorrow we would be going home.


The girls were so happy to see us for sure!


No comments: