I noticed Natalia felt a little warm after getting her out the bath but since she always has an ear infection she pretty much is always warm. Her ear was draining on Monday so we knew she had an infection and started the ear drops to clear it up.
Thursday evening she seemed okay, just tired. I was laying on the couch on my back and she was laying on top of me chest up. I felt her head again and noticed that she was very warm and made a comment about it to Joe. He told me to give her some Tylenol and since I would be getting up in a few min to help brush Selena and Natalia's teeth then I thought I would give her some then.
Not even two min later I felt her body start shaking, almost like a vibrating feeling. I picked her up and said "Natalia what are you doing?" She stopped shaking but her eyes were rolled to the back of her head and she was limp. Joe jumped up and grabbed her and put her on the ground and started talking to her. She was not responding and he said "She is passing out call 911." At that moment Joe and I both thought she was dying, we had no idea what was going on. I called and in a blur told them our address and what was going on. Joe felt her start shaking again and he knew that is was a seizure but I had no idea. The paramedic on the phone said that I was describing a Febrile Seizure and to take her out of her jammies and get a wet cloth and cool her off. Joe did this while I kept checking for the ambulance. Natalia started to come around but was very daised and just stared up at us. Selena was crying and saying "can we keep her? I want to keep her!" It was so sad to think what was going through her mind.
The paramedic's arrived and took all her vitals, she had a high temp so was given Motrin to bring it down. After about 20 min she was looking better and they asked us if we wanted them to transport her to the ER or if we wanted to take her. Well we had calmed down by then and decided to take her. We had to go the the Children's Hospital in Tacoma and that was only about 10 min away.
All four of us loaded up in the car and Natalia started to fall asleep and we kept a close eye on her making sure she was still breathing. About 2 miles from the Hospital she started throwing up all over and again Joe and I started panicking. We were in downtown Tacoma and all the lights we came to were red, Joe started running red lights and swerving around cars to get us to the hospital. He had no idea if this was normal or if she was going to have another seizure. He made it to the ER and they got her right in and gave her some meds to bring the fever down since she threw up the last dose. After four hours in the ER it was determined that her ear infection cause the fever. And if a fever spikes really fast then it can cause a seizure. I had no idea this could happen. We had to give her meds every 6 hours over the weekend to keep the fever down and antibiotics and ear drops for the ear infection. What a scare this kiddo gave us, we spent the rest of the weekend being thankful that she was okay.


1 comment:
ugh. so sorry. I can't even imagine going through that. I am SO glad she is doing better and hope she doesn't ever do that again!
xoxo
I was thinking about you guys all weekend.
Post a Comment