Anyway, I asked Selena what she wanted for kindergarten graduation and she said without hesitation "Toms shoes!" WHAT?! Who's Tom and why do you like his shoes? I asked her why she wanted Toms shoes and she said because her friends had them and so she wanted some also. Okay, I remember this stage but mine came when I was in middle school and it involved a $5.00 bottle of shampoo that I had to have because my friends used it and I used the $0.75 kind.
So I looked up these Toms shoes to see just what was so special about them. Well, nothing really except Tom is making out like a bandit! $40 for a pair of kids shoes is a rip off. I know some people swear by them for some odd reason but no shoes should cost $40.00.
There was no way in heck I was going to buy these for Selena BUT I did think about a great teachable moment that this could bring.
I sat Selena down and told her that these shoes cost A LOT of money. And if she wanted these shoes then she would have to work for them and earn some money for them. Dad and I would give her $20.00 towards her shoes if she could earn the other $20.00.
I feel if you just give your child a pair of shoes this expensive then next year for 1st grade graduation she would want an iPad, then a TV in her room, then a trip to Disney Land then a car... You see how it spins out of control? A child who is just handed something does not understand the cost and then in turn will not treat that item with respect. For example, a kid getting a new car when they turn 16. How many of these new cars get recked within three months? I'm betting 80%. The kid has no respect and understanding for hard work.
So for the last 5 weeks Selena has been working to earn the $20 for her Toms shoes 1 dollar at a time. Taking out the trash, keeping her room clean, doing well on school work, being respectful at home, doing laundry, putting away the dishes and helping out with Wade and Natalia. She has also had money taken away for being mean to her sister and dirty clothes being left on the floor too long. Teaching her to set a goal of what she wants and showing her how to work to meet that goal has been really rewarding her me as well. She only has $2.00 left to earn and she is hoping to do that by Thursday so she can wear her new shoes for her last day of school.
I bought the shoes last week knowing that she would meet her goal. She does not know I have them yet because I don't want any slacking off. I am so proud of her for sticking with it. 6 weeks is a long time to work to earn something but in the "real world" that is how it works. There are no handouts, if you want something you work for it.
No comments:
Post a Comment